A couple of days ago I ran across a recipe for a homemade lotion made of aloe vera, coconut oil and the essential oil(s) of your choice. I decided to give it a try and it turned out great — plus it was very easy to make.
You only need 2 ingredients, plus the essential oil(s) of your choice.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
(The recipe called for extra-virgin, however I didn’t have that on hand so I used what I had in the kitchen – organic but refined).
- 1/3 cup pure aloe vera gel
- 10-20 drops essential oil (depending on how strong you like it).
I used 10 drops of Lavender and 10 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil.Check out our essential oils here.
- Combine the coconut oil and aloe vera in a bowl and mix together. (No need to melt the coconut oil).
- Using an electric mixer, whip into a light, fluffy and airy consistency. During this step, you can add your essential oil(s). Mix for 5-10 minutes to get the desired consistency.
- Transfer the whipped mixture into a glass container and store at room temperature.
After sitting overnight, the lotion hardened a little (which is why it is good to put it into a jar, instead of a squeeze bottle).
I decided to make my lotion a “Summer Lotion” by adding lavender & peppermint essential oils. Lavender oil is great for sunburns and peppermint oil leaves a wonderful cool/tingly sensation on my skin. With the sun and heat, this seemed like a great summer lotion for my family but you could add your favorite essential oil. Frankincense essential oil would also work wonderfully in this, as it is does wonders for your skin (wrinkles, age spots, etc.).
It was easy to make and took under 15 minutes.