I have to admit, I’m a chapstick/lip balm/lipstick addict. I have to apply something to my lips at least once an hour. Usually I use Burt’s Bees or lipstick. One of our customers loves essential oils (even more than we do) and she gave us a wonderful Lavender Lip Balm that she made at home.
I was skeptical at first that it could replace my Burt’s Bees — well, I was wrong. Aside from smelling wonderful, it was very moisturizing and the best part was that I didn’t have to apply it every hour. I could go two hours or more (ok, I haven’t timed it). But my point is that it works great! This homemade lip balm doesn’t have the addictive ingredient in it which makes me feel the need to keep re-applying. Here’s the recipe:
What you’ll need:
– 1 ounce beeswax (around 3 tablespoons)
– 1 ounce coconut oil (around 2 tablespoons)
– ½ ounce shea butter (around 1 tablespoon)
– 20 drops peppermint essential oil
– 10 drops lavender essential oil
– Large skillet/saucepan with water
– Glass Pyrex jar (or something similar)
– Scale (to measure out the ounces)
– Lip balm containers (tubes or tins)
And here’s how easy it is:
- Measure each of the three butters and place together in a large glass measuring cup/jar (like the Pyrex one that is heat-resistant — as you are going to place this jar in a saucepan of boiling water).
- Fill a large skillet/saucepan with 1-1.5 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the glass jar to the center of the saucepan to melt and combine ingredients.
- Stir every few minutes until the ingredients are melted and combined. (10-15 minutes)
- Once all wax is melted, remove from heat and let sit for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes, add essential oils.
- Pour mixture into lip balm containers.
- Let cool and you are DONE! If you spill any it’s no problem since wax is easy to cleanoff plastic and counter tops.
WANT COLORED LIP BALM?
Just add a small amount of mineral makeup until you get the desired color (do this when you are putting in the essential oils).
IS THE MIXTURE HARDENING BEFORE YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO PUT IT IN THE CONTAINERS?
Just put the glass jar back in the hot water and re-melt the mixture. Hope you enjoy this as much as we have!